Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• Some thoughts on persistence in its current state

• Discussion for all things DayZ
Discussion for all things DayZ
 #2396  by Jccowardin

I've seen lots of commentary on persistence on Facebook and figured it would make more sense to discuss it here.

A few things I've noticed:

Confusion about loot cycling - for those that understand loot cycling, that is what is going on in Vybor/Veresnik military base, and supposedly in other locations as well. I believe that with the current state of persistence, and the fact that it is almost impossible to identify who is responsible, this is inevitable. People want the best military loot and the only way to rapidly acquire it on a persistent server is to find a place like VMC that has its own loot system and cycle it until your guns/ammo/attachments/clothing spawns. We (Potatoes) raided VMC yesterday and found that two people had executed a huge loot cycle. We really can't even be sure if it was them who loaded all the backpacks, or if they just added on to someone else's project. I don't speak for us all but I'd be willing to bet that we would provide protection for a group if they wanted to clear the loot from the packs to encourage de-spawning.

Server stability - can we separate the current instability from the lag we had on the previous IP due to DDOS? Is it purely due to persistence and the inevitable "features" that come with it in its current state (loot cycling, natural loot explosions not caused by players, etc.) My experience with the server as it stands is that I have virtually zero lag or desync, but the constant restarts are off-putting. The folks we killed at Vybor had a MP5 but we lost it because the server restarted before it could be looted. Is it possible to perform a manual wipe of all loot on the server without affecting characters?

Finally, would it be worth de-activating persistence to see how the server behaves without it? Each game mode has its strengths and weaknesses, with persistence offering a sort of base-building and hoarding and non-persistence offering base-races at restarts, heli crashes, and seemingly more stability.

I think it is admirable how, despite some animosity between groups in-game and on the forums, this community is able to discuss things like this and make decisions by vote. These are just a few thoughts and questions on the issue.
 #2397  by IvanS.

Pretty much why I didn't want persistence on until it was fixed. Sure stashes and places like polona are cool but I'd rather be able to play for a full 4 hour session than a bunch of 15-30 minute resets. I don't even think we'll be able to carry everything from our stashes when Wednesday maintenance happy anyway. It still feels like a waste to hoard gear in its current state.
 #2409  by Ramblin Hans

Jccowardin wrote:Finally, would it be worth de-activating persistence to see how the server behaves without it?
IvanS. wrote: I'd rather be able to play for a full 4 hour session than a bunch of 15-30 minute resets.
I like persistence for more of the struggle, less super military gear aspect, as opposed to base building. But as much as I like persistence, I have to kinda agree with these statements. I have wondered if the performance/restarts and the persistence being re-enabled are tied together, probably also with population. It used to run fine, but back then there were a handful of people on every night. I also wonder if it isn't some sort of player behaviour - I have a strong personal suspicion either the inception orloot stockpiling for cycling is affecting it...or someone had found a new "splint throw".
 #2411  by IvanS.

White-Bot wrote:
Jccowardin wrote:We (Potatoes) raided VMC yesterday and found that two people had executed a huge loot cycle.
How do you know it was two people?
Probably was more over the course of a 2 hour span that we were gone from the base. Was probably double the amount of bags there from our last visit.
Weyland wrote:
Ramblin Hans wrote:or someone had found a new "splint throw".
We've been pondering this as well. :-(
We've definitely noticed that quite often after someone dies the server goes down either instantly or very shortly after. Maybe with all the loot explosions going on when people start shooting at each other or die the server can't keep up with it?
 #2436  by [666]Slave

Pro's and Con's on both sides of the coin tbh from a playing the game kinda state... But I'll go with what works best for server stability. If persistence off stops the folks who cycle loot like madmen I'm all for it, Its an exploit in the system so in my book they as bad as a hacker. I visited VMB earlier today and what a field of backpacks :(

I also hope there is a wipe so the loosers doing this just wasted their time.