Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• Fenrir Ranger Colony Report #1!

• Tell your day-to-day stories here
Tell your day-to-day stories here
 #3101  by Doublechronox

Fenrir Ranger Colony Report:

Ranger: Nick Jackson (Doublechronox)
Interaction Result: darkly with a ray of light

I made my way to Krasnostav today. Having been in the woods for an extended period of time I was in need of provisions. Running alone is not my comfortable operating procedure, but bandits had forced my hand by ambushing my alleys and I, leaving us separated. I make my way from building to building gathering what helpful provisions that I can find. Food and water have not been luxuries that I have know all too well as of lately. Biting into a sweet kiwi my body tingled with excitement. There is still no water in sight. I begin to feel the effects of the thirst. That dry pasty taste you get in your mouth, the stench of travel dirt and food partials trapped in between my teeth form two days ago.

Having found no water, yet plenty of food, I move cautiously into the vicinity of the town's police station. I hold cover in a hidden position and survey the area. Sweeping a station is not a light matter. I've seen friends and foes alike meet their ends in these death pits. What once stood as a symbol of law and order now sits in the decay that has become Chernarus. Nothing more than a haven for those desperate to find any sibilance of a way to protect themselves, and those who want nothing more than a new way to rain death and chaos. I slowly make my way into the closed building, Blaze 95 in hand, prepared to defend myself if fired upon. Closing the door behind me I sweep from room to room. I am alone. Alone, alone is my new best friend. I laugh as I wonder to myself, "Would I welcome an interaction darkly, just to have the chance to not feel alone?" I pick up a pack of 7.62 rounds and place them into my coat for quick access.

In the distance I hear a shot. I tense up, making my way to a window, crouched and unseen. I survey the area for five minutes when I see movement down on the street. It’s a survivor making haste straight into the town. My gaze follows him as he moves about. Has he seen me? Was he the one firing minutes ago? If so, was he the aggressor? The survivor ran down the main street up to the station when I lose sight of him.

I listen for doors opening and the shuffle of feet, but all I hear is quiet. I set myself up in the corner, "he won't see me hear" I think to myself. I wait. I wait for longer than I can remember. No sound rings within the station, only the heat of my heart and the quickening of my breath. “Did he come in without me hearing? Is he waiting to ambush me?” I've already been in this town for too long and I can't wait forever. “I still need to find water” I mutter to myself.

I make my way out of the room, slow, cautious, with purpose. I sweep the station again, no one. “Did he move on? Did he ever see me?” I make my way to the guard shack on the roof staying low, hidden behind the weathered metal that comprises the shack. I peer out around the town, nothing. I turn to make one more pass when I see movement on the roof of the hospital. "Is that the same survivor?" I ask myself. I watch the man move around; he is obviously searching for someone. Is he hunting for me, hoping that I felt safe and left the confines of the police station? I raise my rifle and line the shot. I do not want to do this. Killing is not my style and I do not like having to make the decision.

Your soul breaks a little when you take a life. For a ranger, the break is more painful than to most. A ranger aims to be a protector, not an executioner. The decision needs to be made quickly. Just then the survivor turns my way, gun in hand. I fire. A single crack rings out, an impact is made, a life is lost, and a soul breaks a little more. It's quiet now. I watch for movement in the town, but there is only peace now.

Making my way down out of the station into the town, I make my way southeast. I quickly search a few more houses. I enter into a two-story home and clear it. I quickly eat a tin of sardines and think to myself "It's time to leave." I turn to make my way to the stairway when I hear a voice from below. It's another survivor. He asks if anyone is upstairs. I answer back. The man informs me that he is unarmed (they all say that) and he has his hands up. He asks if I want him to leave. I am already at the base of the stairs waiting. I ask him to step out from the kitchen. He does so with his hands up. I can only see a sledge hammer and no others weapons. I ask him what he is doing in Krasnostav and he honestly answers that he is "looking for a weapon to defend himself." I tell him that I mean him no harm and that he can put his hands down. I offer him food, but cannot offer any water. He tells me of his misfortune with some bandits in the northwest airstrip. He tells me that he is heading to Severograd to the northwest. I wish him good luck as I had planned to go another direction. I offer to watch his back as he leaves town and he accepts. Once the survivor is well on his way I turn and make my way out of town looking back, just in case.