Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• Didn't take long for non-persistant PvP-mania to return!

• Two men enter, one man leaves...
Two men enter, one man leaves...
 #2714  by stonesode

Hopped on for the first time since persistence was disabled, was heading north towards severograd and saw a smoking helicopter near the NWAF! not seen one of those in ages... was cautious but approached, then I saw/heard a blue truck going towards it. Being a pretty decent/neutral guy I decided not to shoot and instead revealed myself, wiggling and speaking over VOIP.

The silent driver merely circled me for a while then I got sniped by their buddy. Woke up from unconciousness twice to be shot again each time, the reaction of the truck driver that I saw between unconciousness made it obvious they were in cahoots with the sniper.

Anyway, 30 seconds later I respawn north of Novod... I wander down into the industrial area and find some decent military gear off the broken down trucks, not bad! tactical shirt, gorka pants, tortilla backpack, pristine combat boots etc all within 60 seconds of my new life. By some bizarre coincedence with there being a dozen people online, 80% of which were friendly polana residents in said town - I somehow run into a guy almost immediately!

I talk... he is silent. A zed goes for him and I hack it down with the pickaxe for him as a gesture of good-will, engaging him all the while with conversation. Not a second later he starts firing at me (Missing 3 times while I'm literally stood still 10m away), still not saying a word! I run down the hill, double back to get him with my pickaxe when his buddy pops out of the trees and catches me with their shotgun. I'm on the ground talking and they say not one word as they finish me off.

Man, the persistance-off PvP came back HARD.

I don't mind hostility at all, it adds some spice to the server! somebody in both of these encounters could have at least said SOMETHING though. It's an RP server, it's not very RP-ish or interactive to silently kill person after person, regardless of role/class/colony.

Anybody else noticed more hostility? Does anybody feel it ought to be a quasi-rule to interact before murder if the situation allows for it?
 #2724  by MoeksOne

I strongly agree that there needs to be some effort being taken to enforcing roleplay.. I was presented with a similar situation, respawned and made my way back toward my previous body after dying to a glitch while other players were nearby. walked up on 3 players with nothing in my hands, noticed I was being aimed at and made contact from behind a fence, said I was armed but wont be taking my weapon out, got flanked and lit up from 3 metres away (his skill with an AK is laughable at best, half a mag and he hit me maybe 2 times while I was standing still...) charged him with my handgun and quickly ran out of ammo but not before making him shit his pants, I never heard a peep out of any of the 3 players. It could have gone down so much differently, I was well aware I was going to die (I ran back to my body expecting to be captured and tortured), but they could have at least put SOME effort in, this isnt COD after all. The situation could have been much more immersive / fun / creative and exciting, but no... point and shoot seems to be the norm, again.
 #2725  by RRDELR

Well, I don't KOS without good reason but KOS is a very important part of DayZ and I'd hate for it to be like on other Dayz servers where you have extensive rules just to start a fight with someone. Those guys that killed you at Novo were dicks, but I wouldn't be too friendly either at a crash site.
 #2729  by stonesode

I totally get the people at the crash site wanting to kill me for the sake of personal safety or just wanting my gear, I can also understand the people at Novod wanting my clothes or to get me out of the way as a potential risk (that was just a case of bad luck with me respawning virtually on top of them), but they could have said something! anything... "Hey fella nice gear you got there, I quite fancy it myself" or "How dare you come here" before firing.

If your playstyle is to sit in your private TS channel, silently shooting on sight then you might as well be an NPC from the communities perspective, there is no indication/evidence you are a human, least of all somebody with an actual role (that fits one of the descriptions for the handful of pre-determined roles, being a mute & hostile robot is not an available role on the colony AFAIK) in a role-playing server.
 #2733  by RRDELR

Yeah, I agree, but sadly it's not something that can't be enforced by the admins. And I don't think KOS will go away anytime soon because more often than not it's more advantageous short-term to kill whoever you see and take their gear.
 #2742  by Ramblin Hans

Let me tell you a story about all the people I've met in the last 3 weeks who were willing to speak beyond "Put your *&^%ing hands up".

The End.

Actually, I ran into Azor apart from his crew, new spawns both of us, and we talked a bit and headed down the road the same direction letting each other have their distance. Other than that...zero...zilch. I've been killed on sight or shot dead while trying to converse probably a dozen times...persistence on and off. In my opinion, it doesn't have anything to do with persistence, its just right now everyone is killing everyone.
 #2766  by Pvt. Hudson

I don't understand why someone would join a server like the Colony just to pvp. I have access to quite a few servers now with passwords and whitelisting and those got no hackers. If I want to KoS I just log into the public servers. I kill, I die and less than an hour later I'm already fully geared up and giving some other friends some weapons...

I think if your fun involves taking someone else's fun away from him/her, its wrong. I'm usually 50/50. Sometimes I come across people and talk to them, sometimes I just run away. If I know they're friendly I hang out with them, like the folks in Polana, for example.

I agree anything goes on military bases and airfields, but thats it. In any other place you shouldn't KoS and not say a word.