Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• The Reality of Banditry

• Discussion for all things DayZ
Discussion for all things DayZ
 #2813  by Punisher5795

As co-leader of a Bandit clan I've often found myself having to explain banditry to many people. Some people I play with, others that question why I do it. Others that just straight out hate on how we survive and claim the old "ermergerd u havz n0 skillz!!! Go play cod!!"

****PLEASE NOTE - Do not comment a response to this post until you have actually read everything I have said, if you see something you disagree with. That's okay. Just at least give me the benefit of seeing what else I have to say before you respond.****

I'd like to share my thoughts with you all about this, this is real talk coming from a guy who has spent most of his DayZ life time as a bandit. This will probably be long and for that I apologize to those that can't be bothered. But to those that care, I think you will find my thoughts interesting.

First I'd like to talk about the biggest thing we are harassed for. KOS.

I don't really understand how "KOS" became to be such a frowned upon term. Well that's not true I know and can understand how it started. I just think it is a bit pathetic that it is so frowned upon. You don't walk up to somebody and ask them "Hey man, why do you breathe like that? Everyone else breathes like this". Who cares?! If it gets the job done (which in this context is survival) then it is none of your business how that person carries themselves.
If you are spending time out of the game to question another players playstyle (when they don't question your own) then you gotta check yourself. Because obviously their playstyle is working for them as they don't go on forums or whatever to bitch about other people.

Look at yourself before you question others.

Now.. KOS in itself is a way of how to play the game. Is it the best? In my opinion not really. But it is a playstyle that I use more often then I care to admit. The thing I try to relate KOS with is reason. EVERY SITUATION IS UNIQUE in DayZ. That means motivations, feelings and physical circumstances are always varied. All three of these factors add up to our own reasoning for whatever actions we commit. That's why sometimes people who claim the "hero" playstyle will apparently KOS someone (From a certain POV) but really their reasoning and factors leading up to such action make perfect sense. Even for someone of their playstyle.

What's my point?

You cannot condemn somebody for killing someone. Even if you are there, even if you see everything that happens. They're always factors that remain unforeseen or easily missed by an outside perspective. KOS is and always will be a part of the game, deal with it. DayZ reflects the true brutal reality that our actual real world is shrouded in. You accept that or you will be just one of thousands of keyboard warriors on a forum bitching about how hard life is.

Now something that MUST be addressed is the good old "Why do people KOS?! This is about interaction!"

Okay. So what exactly is interaction? Affecting another player(s) through physical means, whether it be talking to them or shooting them. It is still an interaction. So let's just throw that stupid little argument out the window and get back to reality for a second.

Here are what I think some of the most frequent "Why did you do it!?!" reasons are:

- Trolling. Although not the most common reason it is definitely one regardless. It is also the worst reason to do so. These sort of interactions are often carried about young and/or immature minds that somehow got a hold of the game from mommy's credit card. They do not take the game seriously (as I believe most people should) and are here for no other reason other then to make themselves feel good off other peoples misery (often through unfair means).

- Survival. This is where bandits come in. While it IS possible to survive without being a bandit this is just a way some people feel most comfortable with. Maybe they physically don't know how to otherwise. I wouldn't call this as being lazy, killing players is no easy task no matter how well geared. They're two reasons major reasons real bandits do what they do. Survival is the first one. They kill (or rob preferably) and take. Simple.

- Pleasure. This is the second major reason bandits do what they do. It takes a lot of time for people that are new to the bandit playstyle to finally get this feeling. But when they do, it is incredibly addicting and powerful. Without a doubt this is what keeps me coming back to the bandit playstyle, there is no greater pleasure I can feel in this game then to walk away from a fire fight with a pile of bodies behind me.

- Self-defence. In every situation in DayZ (no matter how many parties are involved) it takes one party to initiate hostilities. Which in turn leaves the opposing force in a position of "self-defence". This isn't technically KOS, it is just a excuse to kill people. The problem is some people just don't have the guts to admit they do KOS for fear of being persecuted by others. So they claim a somewhat "legitimate" reason for killing someone. "They shot at me first!".

So that covers the KOS aspect of being what most people brand as a "bandit". It certainly is NOT what bandits are all about. It is just the most often targeted way of hating on bandits, which we rightly so deserve the hate. Just not in a way that takes things outside the game to the forums for people to cry about. What happens in DayZ should stay in DayZ.

But now to move on to what I believe is something reserved for the more skilled bandits.

Robbing other players.

Robberies are often the most inefficient way of taking somebodies gear, why? Because usually the player being robbed will have many weapons on him, whether they be grenades, knives, syringes, hatchets, even screw drivers. They all present a threat to the robbers, therefore the robbers must take many precautions to ensure they themselves do not get harmed in the process. However I personally believe robbing someone takes more skill then KOS (Although KOSing successfully DOES take skill!) and I think all bandits should somewhat strive for this skill level.

Why?

It provides an enjoyable experience, for both parties. Putting the torturing or trolling aside (haha mr bambi eat this rotten kiwi) talking to people is very interesting. Robberies have the opportunity to develop into extremely intense situations (for example hostage situations) or they may even end up ending well for the victim(s) as the bandits may change it from a robbery to just a simple talk and exchange of supplies. It depends on the bandits. I've been in many bandit clans and one thing they all have in common. Is that usually if we were robbing someone and they seemed cool and respectful we would often leave them with either most of their gear or even end up giving them more gear to survive with.

So what is my point?

When you are told to drop your gun by a bandit. Chances are you should as he probably has you surrounded, and chances are you will come out of the situation alive and perfectly fine. It all depends on how you handle the situation. Don't be a bitch if you get executed, just keep your cool. Don't suck up too much, just be cool and respectful.

It's also worth noting IF you ever do get captured. Don't take the stupid moral high horse crying about how evil bandits are, it just makes us love it more. Seriously just shut the fuck up or be respectful.

So now to the part where I think most people will complain about or debate.

The Truth about being a Bandit.

True bandits, (bandits that aren't little kiddy trolls) are the real people of DayZ. They are real and honest. Most little societies that pop up in Chernarus have drama shrouded in backstabbing. Too afraid to be outright about how they really want to survive people will flock to these societies for protection, yet really all they care about is themselves. They are just too weak to admit it.

Some "heroes" are colder, weaker and more cowardly then many "bandits".
Some "bandits" are more respectful then many "heroes".
Some "bandits" are far colder then the lowest of "heroes".

Call me ignorant, call me a cold-hearted killer or tell me I have no skills. In the end it doesn't matter what you or I say.

When we get down to it, DayZ is about survival.
It's about how you fight to survive,
It's about how you fight for those you care about,
it's about how you conduct yourself before you see those final words.

"You are dead"