Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• Inside Base Building [RTX 2015]

• Colony announcements and information
Colony announcements and information
 #3800  by Weyland

At RTX 2015, DayZ Producer Brian Hicks spoke about base building.

Some things we do know:
  • You will need a 'construction kit'
  • You will need to refresh your camp
  • There is an improvised version as well as an reinforced version

"Lets say you put down some basic resources and you start adding into that and you'll start building up things."
-Brian Hicks

The current idea regarding walls is: Improvised Walls (sheet metal, 2x4's), Improvised Towers (pallets, 2x4's, sheet metal).

Reinforced base building will have Hesco Barriers which will be available in two tiers stacked. Looking over and shooting over walls will be a reality. Generators as well as flood lights are mentioned.

A concern that's worth discussing is, if you build a base will it be piece-by-piece or prefabbed?

Hicks mentions a cap on Z space (height) ceiling. Thankfully, he doesn't want impossible builds (Epoch) like a wooden hut that's 6 stories high. This tells me along with crafting (filling) Hesco barriers, building walls with different materials, different tiered level towers, etc...that you build a base piece-by-piece. It'll either by literal pieces or a group of pieces controlled by a pre-determined set or an amount slider. Either way, he's speaking of literal pieces which is important to know.

Regarding the issue of refreshing a base...

Triggers are invisible circles that trigger events (on a delay or not) when someone enters the radius. This was how zombies and loot spawned in the Mod. They still use triggers in Arma 3 and I'm guessing triggers are still a reality for SA. With that said, Hicks said a base isn't a base w/o walls so why not make the design work via: you make an enclosure of walls and once that's achieved a trigger is created. Step inside the trigger and bam, refresh for x amount of days. Only problem is if you don't make a circumference of walls, you can't refresh your base because a trigger isn't assigned. My reply to that is, who is going to build one side of wall and not an enclosure? :angel:
 #3801  by lank3033

I really hope you build it in individual bits and its not "plop down the entire base template and add resources until its finished." With the steps they are taking to make buildings usable aside from loot spawning (ie: working fireplaces and world containers like fridges) it would seem counter intuitive to me to not allow people to use the base building features around existing structures. There are tons of small towns and tiny collections of houses that I have passed that I would love to fortify. If I were in the apocalypse, I would certainly find an existing structure if possible and fortify it, not go out to the wilderness to build an entirely new structure from scratch. I really like the idea of all those bits of the base they have outlined separately, just do not dig the idea of them all being components of one or two overall templates.
 #3802  by Kactus

I really am behind the resource gathering for the bases. but my biggest concern is the decay rate on using an axe or other item.
 #3812  by Weyland

lank3033 wrote:I really hope you build it in individual bits and its not "plop down the entire base template and add resources until its finished." With the steps they are taking to make buildings usable aside from loot spawning (ie: working fireplaces and world containers like fridges) it would seem counter intuitive to me to not allow people to use the base building features around existing structures. There are tons of small towns and tiny collections of houses that I have passed that I would love to fortify. If I were in the apocalypse, I would certainly find an existing structure if possible and fortify it, not go out to the wilderness to build an entirely new structure from scratch. I really like the idea of all those bits of the base they have outlined separately, just do not dig the idea of them all being components of one or two overall templates.
Totally. Like Berezhki, you could totally put walls around the entire town. Woodbury 2.0. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm more interested in stealth so advanced base building is what I'm looking forward to the most. :party:
 #3815  by jewstinian

I recall Dean mentioning in an interview he had a difficult time with bases since they add a lot more objects to the persistent worlds and cause problems; now they're looking to put it in. It's probably not important anymore but interesting nonetheless. I'm curious to see how this will carry out.
 #3822  by Weyland

jewstinian wrote:I recall Dean mentioning in an interview he had a difficult time with bases since they add a lot more objects to the persistent worlds and cause problems; now they're looking to put it in. It's probably not important anymore but interesting nonetheless. I'm curious to see how this will carry out.
Do you remember what interview that was? I know its hard to remember, but I'm curious when he said that as things might have changed since that time (new engine, etc).
 #3826  by jewstinian

Weyland wrote:
jewstinian wrote:I recall Dean mentioning in an interview he had a difficult time with bases since they add a lot more objects to the persistent worlds and cause problems; now they're looking to put it in. It's probably not important anymore but interesting nonetheless. I'm curious to see how this will carry out.
Do you remember what interview that was? I know its hard to remember, but I'm curious when he said that as things might have changed since that time (new engine, etc).
I found an older AMA he did that implies underground bases, although I can't seem to find the video for it. I think it's hidden in one of the PAX devblogs a while ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... nd/cevx2jp